Search This Blog

Tuesday, 6 December 2011

Bovine Intervention


Red cattle have always been a particular favourite of mine. When I was a kid there was a big red Sussex Bull in the field next to my school. He was about as friendly as a bull could be and we would hand feed him sandwiches and sweets. When he went, probably as a result of some sort of glucose-induced coma, he was replaced by the biggest , meanest Charolais I have ever seen. Sweets were not on the menu with that one. Anyways, as part of the woodland regeneration project going on up here,-which is slowly turning the neighbourhood into a theme park- "Wood World- its got trees!"- the KWT has introduced that well-known Kentish woodland dweller the Kyloe- which is not an Australian singing midget but is a Highland cattle breed. I happen to like them- especially the one pictured who has been awarded the sterling moniker "Cleophus"-  but suspect that the concept of them being here hasn't been entirely thought through. Despite the KWT puff about them being able to "forage for feed amongst the woodland" they never seem to stray very far from the hay bales that are dropped into their enclosure daily. All a bit of a sham on that front I think. Still- he is a handsome devil...and you can click to enlarge him to his natural proportions.





No comments:

Post a Comment