There is a certain type of day that just seems entirely of its place- when, temperature, light and the ether combine to produce a day of pure presence. An existential silence- no matter what events happen within it. Some people seem to find that space quite often- but for the rest of us it always seems like a miracle when they come along. An addict once told me his attraction to heroin was rooted in the sense that it made him feel as if God had let go of his neck- which might be the same thing. Animals are probably closer to that space and one in particular seems an emblem of it to me. The owl. The last couple of weeks we have heard a good number- but I have only seen a few- mainly Tawny owls. But I did see one Barn Owl, or may be I did. They appear to me to move within an envelope of stillness- like frozen moments hang off their wings. A true shapeshifter, whenever I see one a minute later I am never sure if I saw it or not- they exist somewhere between a memory and a dream immediately they are gone from sight. A deeply wondrous talent.. anyways- today was one of those days of convergence- a dreamtime of a wood in autumn. Here are some pics..hope they convey a bit of it..........
This morning I had a final rummage through the fruit patch and along the hedgerow- the crop hasn't been helped by a poor summer and a dry September, so its been a bit thin through the back end. But there are a few stragglers left emergent..and their tardiness and hardiness in the face of the pigeon onslaught makes them all the more special...so it was raspberries and blackberries at mid- morning. Just a mouthful or two- enough to remind me of why the best are always last.
![]() |
Counting Squirrels |
Six Beeches. Pig Heaven. |
![]() |
The Golden Bough |




No comments:
Post a Comment